Saturday, August 7, 2010

Home(sick)

Home for me (Jenny) growing up was a relatively loose term... I was born into a family of American Gypsies, or perhaps hippies, or perhaps a mom who gets the itch to move more often than anyone else I know (she's moved to two different states in three years). 

I was born in a farm community in Iowa, but at nine months, I moved to this place:
Then to here when I was four:

Then to a place where we saw a lot of this when I was eight:

Then to a slightly more boring, flatter, less interesting place in CA for a brief time, then we moved here when I was 11:

Where I spent summers here:

Then when I grew up, I moved to this pretty little place:

And about five point five years ago, I moved to a much flatter place, that I now call home :) I guess I've come full circle to the farm "roots" I had. But boy, do I miss those mountains.
While Lancaster County is one of the most beautiful places on earth, I must admit -- I'm a little -- okay a lot homesick for white water, mountains, lakes, and wide open spaces.  I'm a bit homesick for rodeos, fly fishing, boating, wave running and even the atmosphere of the western US.  What I wouldn't give to spend some time in the mountains, to breathe that fresh air, to be in nature and experience that again.

Nate, Benson, and I are going on an adventure today to try to find some hills of some sort, some trails, some waterfalls, and hopefully, I can breathe enough mountain/tree air into this sick nose of mine to feel like I'm a bit at "home".

What about you?  What makes you feel most at home physically speaking?

No comments:

Our Wedding Countdown