On Travels:
We went to Mississippi. We flew. It was like a service vacation and I'm glad we went as a family. It was a lot of work (mostly for Nate). It was hotter than here in PA, which is a feat unto itself. We met really, really, really nice people and reconnected with old friends. Cute, little, adorable, generous older friends who are cooler than I'll ever be. They have ferris wheels in their backyard. No lie.
What was not so cool was that Benson was "warm" on the flights down. By our first night, he was BURNING up with a high fever. This lasted for a couple days, I gave him Tylenol (well, whatever it is nowadays you can get that is "like" Tylenol). It wasn't working. I called our pediatrician who told us we could give him the larger dose now because of his weight. This may have been helpful information before the illness, but live and learn. She also told us that the fever would most likely last a few days, then disappear and a rash would appear. That's exactly what happened! How'd she know??? Amazing! He had roseola and was all better for our flight home (minus the semi-freaky looking rash on his face and body).
In some ways, it was actually kind of nice having him sickly. Instead of spending my days chasing him all over creation, I was able to snuggle him and help Nate more with inventorying tool trailers and appliances and the like. Seriously the one trailer was basically a labrynth of tools from centuries... Okay, years ago. Do you have any idea what all you can fit in a semi trailer? A lot. You can just trust me on that.
Our flight home was actually a blessing. We found out the night before we couldn't fly when we had planned due to a cancelled flight. No problem, they assured us, they'd gotten us on a flight 45 minutes later, with two layovers still, but instead of the layovers being 30 and 40 minutes, they were 2.5 and three hours. Um, no thank you! So I called Delta and they were so nice. I nicely explained we were traveling with an 11 month old and asked if they could help us out. So cool story is that we got to sleep in (we would have had to get up at 4am and drive 1.5 hours), we got to go to breakfast with our new friends, work some more, and leave in the afternoon from the airport 10 minutes away. With only one layover. Yeah!!! The only bad part is that we got home at midnight. But considering layovers are my nemesis, I was happier than I would have been otherwise. Something about international flights and six hours stints in Frankfurt or London or Dubai. Shudder.
Sunday evening upon returning, we had the July/August family birthday celebration. Happy Birthday to Ang, Saraiah and Benson! I love these girls in this picture (and the little boy, too). Of all the close family members of Nate's - they were the hardest to get to know and fall for and I love them so very deeply today. Isn't that so cool?
On Homesickness and Sickness:
We tried to find mountains, waterfalls and big rocks. We found big rocks and some trees. I got a pretty crazy something when we returned home from MS. Funky tummy, sore throat, killer headache, hit by truck feeling, but I was not about to let that deter me from being in the trees and hills of PA. We drove around a lot. No one knew where this "waterfall" was that we found online, but didn't seem to exist. I got a horrendous bloody nose that left me weak and tired. But it was still nice to get out into the wilderness. If anyone has a private jet and would like to fly us to Montana or somewhere, our bags are packed. :) Just kidding.
This is Benson wondering why we kept driving around trying to find this waterfall. "mama, can we just be done with this driving all over creation." If he could talk, I'm sure "are we there yet???" would have been flying :)
On "mountains" and what God is teaching us:
I thought the mountains I was looking for were of the physical kind... But perhaps God' heart was more the Spiritual kind. Many of you know, I raise support and Nate is a missionary of sorts, working for a Christian non-profit. To say we're not swimming in money is an understatement. But we sure do have more than most of the world. In the past few months, two long-time and substantial supporters have pulled out for very good reasons (God calling them on and family stuff). I love how God calls people to go, people to pray, people to send, people to encourage, and I even love it when He asks them to do something else. Strangely, we are okay. Somehow, on what we make, which really is not much, we have been able to replace a car engine, buy two newer cars, have a baby and all that entails, and we are really almost debt free (we do have a little from the cars). But I think Nate figured it out and we've put a lot out in the past year on car stuff. More than makes human sense. Incredibly generous God we serve. And incredibly generous people surrounding us.
We've heard it all: "if God's in it, you'll have more than enough money", "maybe this means you're supposed to move on"... I understand those comments, I do. I would by lying if I said I didn't struggle through those very same questions.
But at the end of it all, am I sure of my calling? Yes.
Am I sure God has us both where we are right now for His good purposes and plans? Yes.
Do I have peace that transcends all understanding? Yes.
Would I like more money? More earthly security in that sense? Yes.
Is it hard sometimes? Yes. I wish I could say I've passed this test with flying colors, but I haven't.
Would I trade earthly money/peace for an understanding that God is working to get us to the mountaintop? No way. I like being here. Not because it's easy. But because God has promised to never leave us or forsake us.
We may never have perfect cars, a big house, clothes, fine things, date nights and vacations. But we will (if we keep our eyes fixed on Him) hopefully understand more of what Paul was saying when he said he learned to be content in plenty or in want. Oh, the amazing day that will be. I'm looking forward to it. I'm looking forward to being content, not because of our circumstances, but because we are blessed and God is good.
(And again, I recognize we have SO MUCH MORE than most, so I'm not whining, just stating the facts)... All I have to do is think of the people I serve and work with. Some of the most God-loving, God fearing, encouraging and real people I know, surviving on very little, because they love Jesus. Maybe someday I'll be cool like them. I can only hope. (And also, this is not a dig on anyone who has a big house, goes on dates, has nice clothing. I believe God calls us all to different things. For this season, this is our thing.)
So yeah. And a God praise. A couple days after we found out the second set of supporters was pulling out, we received a contribution from someone I hardly know. They know Nate. I've only met them twice, I believe. Once at a barn party and once at our wedding. I'm sure we've exchanged roughly 50 words max, but I hope they can someday understand just how much God has used them to bless and encourage my heart. They must really hear God. Because everytime they've given, it's been just in time. Just in time for God to remind us He is in this. And that He loves us. It was strangely close to what we're behind in our contributions. Close enough for us to know it was all God.
More than anything I can "have" on this earth, I'm so incredibly grateful God gave me to a husband like Nate who loves God and wants to serve Him, even when it's hard... and grateful that God gave us such an amazing baby boy to raise for Him. We are so blessed. So, so, so blessed.
On my heart these days are people in comas, with loved ones earnestly praying for their full recovery; mamas and dads with empty arms, waiting for their sweet blessings to come to them, waiting and waiting... People with nothing... People who don't know Jesus. 2 billion of them. That's too many. Way, way too many.
____________________________________
This has nothing to do with the post, but Benson really loves "uncle John" and enjoys playing with him:
Up next:
Date night Friday night (thanks Ang!)
My mom visits this weekend for 10 days
We become Members at our church
Benson gets Dedicated
We celebrate his FIRST BIRTHDAY! What???
I leave you with this adorable pic of Benson and Nate swimming in the pond at the Hoover homestead:
Love you all,
Jenny (for Nate and Benson, too)

1 comment:
Awe, I love that boy too! (Uncle john)
Post a Comment