Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Three weeks worth of stuff.

Is it me, or has it really been roughly three weeks since our last post??? I'm not even certain where to begin...

I think it's safe to begin with the short vacation we took with Nate's family to the Deerwood at the end of June.  It was a beautiful, hot, humid, but fun long weekend!  It's a lively group with six kiddos and one on the way (Nate's sister is due shortly after Benson's birthday in August). 

We enjoyed a Sunday church service outside... It was a refreshing time, sharing where we are at in our relationships with God.  I definitely feel like God has me in a time of refinement.

Sunday afternoon, we took off to a local lake Blue Marsh.  Nate and I went early to scout places to sit and took two of our nieces with us - aren't they cute?  I got stung by a bee for the first time in probably 20 years.  It wasn't so horrible, but I could wait another 20.
Benson took his first canoe trip!  He did great, even danced on the way back.  He's been dancing a lot lately.  It's pretty fun.
The place is called Deerwood and we finally saw two fawns on Monday morning. 
We also got to celebrate Sheila's birthday and Annika's birthday!
A family picture...
Grandma with two of the youngest ones.
________
On July 1, Benson, two of my coworkers, my boss' daughter and I embarked on a journey to Philadelphia to take part in the kickoff/launch of Doug Moyer's Run Across America for Global Disciples.  While it's true I think this man is a bit crazy for wanting to run 3000 miles in 60 days, I have to admit, I'm amazed, too.  The sendoff was an emotional one.  His heart is to raise awareness of the 2billion who have never heard the Gospel.  What a blessing to be a part of it.  My job was to round up people for the press conference.  I made Benson help me. People are a lot more likely to agree to something when there is a cute baby involved.
After Doug took off running, sprinting really through the streets of Philly, we walked to a market for lunch and drove home.

I love this:
Doug in front of the Liberty Bell

On July 3, we had a sendoff for him in Lancaster, as well... a bunch of people ran with him for a little bit, including Nate and Benson.
_______________________________________
We moved Nate's grandparents into their house on July 1.  This is the house the family and friends have been building next to mom and dads for the past number of months.  It's incredible to see it finished and everyone did a great job!  We hope they enjoy their new space!
Grandpa and dad moving in...
The living room
The wall I helped frame and put boards on... Nail guns scare me. And I wanted a pic of this wall in case it ever falls down... You can blame me.
Grandma in her new dining room on moving day
Friday after we moved grandma and grandpa in, the husband of Nate's cousin, who helped with the build, serving as contractor, was in a serious motorcycle accident.  It's safe to say my faith has been stretched as we believe God for a miraculous healing.  You see, two weeks prior to the accident, he told his wife he thought someone would have to be raised from the dead for people in our region to recognize the power of God.  His wife thought it would either be him or her.  So when the accident happened and they declared him brain dead, she knew not to give up hope.  Isn't God so sweet, to give them the head's up on it?  It's been incredible to see God at work in this situation and to think of the lives that will be changed for His glory!  He's already showing signs of improvement and they changed his status from no chance of life to 50% brain function someday.  We are hoping he has all he needs to live out the calling God has for him!  His wife is due any day now with their fourth child.  Would you please pray for them with us?

It's also been a time of realizing what faith looks like and how I need to grow in this area.  I wrote a devotional for work yesterday to go with the Third Friday Prayer and Fasting list.  In Mark 6, it says that Jesus didn't perform miracles in a place, but just healed a few sick... He was amazed at their lack of faith. I hope He's more amazed in the days to come at my faith than my lack of faith...
_______________________
On July 5, we moved Nate's sis and bro-in-law and niece into their remodeled home next to mom and dad's farm.  We hope they love it there and we're okay with not having any building, remodeling or moving in our immediate future :)
______________________________________________
We have been blessed to be able to enjoy down time this summer, too. 
Swimming with friends...
Kayaking with Benson...
Relaxing on the porch swing at mom and dad's...
Putting monkeys on our son's back to see how long it will take him to notice.  He never did, but enjoyed chewing on the leg every once in a while.  Kinda like a traveling teether foot.  Weird.  Can you guess who did this to him?  Hint: it wasn't me.  Shocking, I know.
______________________
This past weekend, my sweet friend Sarah hosted a surprise Grandma shower for our dear friend Carla.  Carla thought she was coming to babysit a toy throwing one year old, hence the helmet.  She kinda wishes she would have been dressed more nicely, but it makes for a super fun memory!  The ladies blessed Carla with gear for the baby, since her daughter, son-in-law and soon to be born baby all live in NY.
Okay, I think that's all for now... Sorry for the length of time between posts.  I'll try to be better at keeping up :)

Up next:
Possible trip to Mississippi to work for Mennonite Disaster Service to prepare for fall projects rebuilding homes.
Hopefully a beach trip with our dear friends!
My mom will visit us to celebrate Benson's first birthday and his dedication!
So excited!!!

We leave you with this parting image, because really, how awesome is this???  Yes, ladies, if you run out of styling product, just use sunscreen!
And this one, in case that last one will give you nightmares...here's a kinder, gentler picture.
Okay, and one more, because he's fun to look at, in my opinion...

Be blessed and we love you!
The Hoovers

No comments:

Our Wedding Countdown