Tuesday, April 26, 2011

One week with our precious daughter

Welcome Little Katelyn Grace!!!  Her name means "pure, unsullied" which I love.  Her life verse is "blessed are the pure of heart, for they shall see God."
A couple of minutes old...

Born April 19th
Weighing 7lbs., 6oz.
22 inches long

Her birth story:z

I thought I might be in labor at around 10 that morning, but wasn't sure because I was induced with Benson, so I didn't know what to expect exactly...

I was at a mother's time at a friend's church hearing a lady teach on Raising Spirited Children (which Benson just might be :)) and I started timing my contractions.  I was having them every 4-6 minutes but didn't want to miss the talk :) I think I made my friend Kim nervous...  She told me I should probably go home...  I texted Nate to tell him this "might" be it but not to worry or leave work. I got home around 11:30 and called my midwife after feeding and laying Benson down for a nap.  She said I was too chipper to be in labor and I told her I'd asked God to keep me full of joy so I might not get cranky :)  She told me to call in an hour.  So I kept timing contractions, cleaned, finished packing, called Nate's parents and told them "probably not today, but maybe in the next 24-48 hours" so they could prepare to get Benson.(Remember, I didn't know what to expect!)  My contractions were around three to four minutes apart, I called again, they said I still didn't sound cranky enough, so they told me to call in an hour.  So I kept timing, then they were about three minutes apart so I called Nate and told him he might want to wrap things up at work soonish and come home. I think I was still pretty calm at this point :) and called his parents and asked them to come, too.  Nate's parents got here around 2:30 and my contractions were about 2 minutes apart, sometimes 3 and definitely a bit more painful.  When I called again, the one nurse wanted to talk to me since I was so set on being happy through it.  She asked me to explain the contractions and so I did.  I told her they were "toe curling" and she said that's it - come in.  Nate got home around 3, and we checked into the hospital around 3:30.  I wasn't very dilated, but thankfully they kept me in.  I labored for another couple hours and when they checked I was only 5 cm and thought there was no way I was going to make it the five more hours they estimated it would take.  My midwife who I now officially LOVE to pieces, told me to try this certain position.  Within minutes, my water broke and I really wanted to push. I told Nate it felt like I swallowed a semi and it was trying to come out.  I think that's a helpful description for our hubbies, no? Can I get an amen???  Within 40 minutes of being told it would be five more hours, I was done!  After just three hours at the hospital and less than five minutes of pushing and a pretty intense labor...

She emerged.  Beautiful.  Healthy.  ALIVE.

The midwife and nurse told us she had a knot in her cord.  They didn't make a big deal of it.  But when the charge nurse (also Nate's cousin's wife) came in and the shift changed to a new nurse, both were in tears that she had a knot and she was ALIVE.  I cry each time I think that God spared her little life.  Apparently some babies with true cord knots die in utero or during delivery or have some problems.  But not our daughter, and we are SO GRATEFUL to God. So many times a day, I hold her and just thank Him for letting us know her and love her.  Our miracle baby.  Our daughter!
Meeting big brother for the first time - just a couple of hours old!
She does have a minor heart condition - an arrhythmia called PVC, but we are told it will probably self-correct.  We are trusting God that it will and will have a follow up with a children's hospital in the area in the coming weeks.  We are at peace with it.

She was born on Passover.  The significance of that is amazing to us.  We look forward to seeing God protect her for her lifetime just as He was faithful to do when we couldn't even understand or see that she needed it.  (Isn't that so like Him???)

With her "duckling" hat I made for her.
We are home and adjusting to life as a family of four.  We are so blessed - Benson is gentle and loving towards her.  It's the cutest thing!  We are also incredibly blessed as Nate has paternity time with MDS, so he's home with us and I think that is really helping the transition go much more smoothly as we can focus on both kiddos.  He's been an incredible blessing to me and to Benson and Katelyn.  We are so blessed to have him as a husband and daddy.
All of our friends who were pregnant together have now delivered and it's so surreal that we are all done.  That we are all now holding our precious ones on the outside.  It's really incredible.  The last three who were pregnant all went three days apart.  One on Saturday, us on Tuesday, and then one on Good Friday.  We all missed being in the hospital together but it was still so fun! We were due two days apart from one of the gals and on the same day as the other and all delivered late!
With her 3 day older buddy Colson
I'm doing great, too!  I can't believe how great I feel, actually. Throughout the pregnancy I asked God to keep me full of joy and peace and I think it worked!  I am amazed at how good I feel, except a few little things that are tough, like sleeping and very minor issues.  I'll be home for a month or so before returning to work part-time.  I wonder if I can really stay away that long??? I have to admit I've cheated and checked my email a number of times already :)

  
With her cousins and the hat they made for her

Getting ready to go home!

 I am completely in awe that God is entrusting two of His precious children to our care. What a privilege and honor.

Thank you for praying for us, for standing with us and for cheering us on!  We are grateful! 

And... some pics of our cutie pie Benson at Easter :)
  

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I love this post! You can FEEL your joy and peace oozing out of every word! :) So blessed to be your friend and to have walked through this pregnancy with you. Let's get together soon!

Unknown said...

She is BEAUTIFUL!!!!! As well as her name! Congrats to you, Nate and Benson on your newest addition to your family! Blessings!

kerry and jo said...

Congratulations on your little baby girl's arrival, safe and healthy. God IS Good! And enjoy, girls are a lot different than boys. I had 2 boys first so I really noticed the difference, but both are wonderful and fun. God Bless you all. Jo and Kerry Eidse (manitoba)

Our Wedding Countdown