Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Christmas-time and birthdays

I think I was supposed to blog a while ago, but.... Life sometimes doesn't deem this as a top priority, though it should be a little higher on our list!

Christmas-time was fun, but busy.  We enjoyed a visit from my sister and her new fiance Thomas.  We missed having mom with us this year. We enjoyed ice skating, wedding dress shopping, sister day out, lots of time eating and cooking, and of course celebrating Christmas with Nate's family and with Gretchen and Thomas.    Oh, and did I mention planning a wedding for Finland for Christmas this year?  For those of you who aren't quite sure, but think maybe, just maybe that's a very far-off and COLD place, you would be correct.  It's where the arctic circle is, and the town they chose is considered to be Santa's hometown.  How about that?  It'll be dark there most of the time and COLD.  Did I mention it will be COLD???  I'm so excited though, for the adventure and for loving on my sister as she gets married - it's going to be something!

Gretchie and Thomas skating



Benson sledding with grandpa and cousin Annika

The first part of February, we got to celebrate our birthdays with Nate's family - we celebrated Nate's birthday, Dad's birthday, and my birthday all together.  Nate's sister is taking an online cake decorating class and she made the cutest cake for us (which was also delicious!).  We were spoiled with many wonderful cards and gifts.  One of the things I asked for was a "how to" book on crocheting.  I am making some baby blankets - in new designs and it's fun!  We also asked for money towards a weekend away at a marriage conference.  My sister had given us tickets to a hockey game for date night. It was only the third game I'd ever been to and there was a LONG fight between two players. It kinda freaked me out, but the game was fun and it's cool to learn about a game I don't know much about.

This past weekend we went on our first extended time away since Benson was born!  We attended the Weekend to Remember conference in Hershey, PA.  There wasn't a whole lot that felt like lightbulbs going off in our heads, but there were many instances where we were so glad to be reminded of how blessed we are to be married to one another.  The one speaker was so stinkin' funny I actually thought I might birth this little girl right there in the conference hall.  Seriously, so ridiculously funny. I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard!  As the different sessions were conducted, I continuously felt so grateful for the man God has blessed me with as a husband.  And blessed that our children get to grow up with him as their Dad.  He's pretty awesome if I do say so myself!

We are feeling so incredibly blessed by God right now.  That's not to say things haven't been tough lately.  Life has definitely been throwing some curve-balls at us, but it's been amazing to walk together and see God's grace in all of it.  I can boldly say I think we're learning and growing!  It's been a month of God answering prayers before we knew they needed to be answered and seeing His provision in the big things and little things.  We are so grateful for the chance to continue to step out as a couple and family even more.  I've been so proud to watch Nate in the past weeks step out more as a leader, encourager, and even as a pastor at his job. If you feel like I'm being vague, I am :)  I'm sure we'll have some updates for you in the future.

A few weeks ago I began co-leading a women's life group/care group through our church with an awesome gal named Julie. I feel so blessed to be leading with her, she's someone I've respected from afar for many years.  And I LOVE our group of ladies!  I couldn't have asked for a better group to journey with - what a joy!  I'm still teaching Sunday School for 5-6 grade girls every other week, but will be stepping back from that responsibility as we prepare for the birth of our little girl (less than seven weeks from now!).

For those who support the ministry of Global Disciples and me, you are probably wondering what my plan is after our little girl is born.  I plan to continue working at Global Disciples as the Grant Manager - which means I'll cut back some on my responsibilities, but will continue to track and manage grants, etc. for the almost 250 programs we now work with.  Tefera, Galen, and some others are traveling right now in Ethiopia for the meetings - they have already been to India, Ind-nesia, N-pal, Zambia, Uganda, and Kenya in the past couple of months.  It's a little strange not being there, but there are aspects of the travel I don't miss (ie parasites).

Last weekend, my coworker Crystal and I co-led a seminar and discussion time at Missions Fest Lancaster.  It turned out to be a pretty good time of conversation about unique and inventive ideas on missions. Hopefully the participants went away asking God for creative ways to reach the unreached.

I'm so grateful for all who pray for us and support us in this ministry. I'm so grateful, too, to be able to continue to partner with God in the nations even with the responsibilities of being a wife and mom.  We were laughing yesterday at work that with this cut in hours, I'll be making full support for the first time!  Thank you for continuing to pray and bless the ministry God has called us to!

I'll update soon with a post about growing Baby Benson and our little girl :)

Much love to all of you - we are so grateful for you in our lives.

Jenny (for the rest of the crew)
I leave you with this parting shot of Benson with his cutie-pie buddy Owie.  (and his little sister in mommy's cute tummy - seriously, is my friend not the most adorable pregnant woman???)

No comments:

Our Wedding Countdown