Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Some trust in chariots, some trust in horses...


Some trust in chariots, some trust in horses, but we will trust in the name of our God! Psalm 20:7

This morning I am grateful for so many things and pondering what God has to teach me with our cars. Again. I’m grateful for a relationship with my Heavenly Father that blesses me and challenges me. I’m grateful for a wonderful and healthy husband, son, and family who I love. I’m grateful for friends who encourage and challenge me and I'm grateful for the opportunity to work with training directors to send missionaries in 30 countries around the world in a small way, so others may have a chance to choose Jesus as their Savior.

I’m even grateful for cars that have issues... Why? Because I get sweet reminders like not trusting in anything but God. Since January, we’ve had several MAJOR vehicle issues. Three blown engines, one fried computer, and many other small issues that basically meant our vehicles wouldn’t run. I wish I could tell you I always responded full of faith and with grace. But I cannot honestly tell you that, so I won’t. But as time goes on, I think I’m beginning to see fruit from these “obstacles”. I’m learning to trust God and God alone and EVEN if everything I “count as gain” in this earthly life is gone and wiped away, one truth remains, and that is: I know my Father is trustworthy.

Last night we picked up a second car (yippee!!!) so no more one carrin it for this family. I was beyond excited, perhaps too much so. I don't believe God is a God who punishes us, but I do believe He will use any means necessary to get to our hearts. I made a remark to the guy we bought the new used car from that now our car issues are solved. Clearly, I was putting my trust in something other than God. I even sensed on the way home that I shouldn't do this, that my thinking was wrong... On the way home, Nate was driving our first car and I was in our newer used car. He told me when I got home that the Check Engine light came on in our Montero (that we got in May). This is the car that had a blown computer in it, that was thankfully replaced on warranty (the warranty period is expired...). My first response was something like, "WHAT?!?!?!?!?" (or something like that) and Nate, calm and composed as ever let me know it would all be okay. Perhaps this lesson is for me, not for him. Sorry honey that I still haven't gotten it ;)
I have the Montero today to get the light checked out. I guess I am posting this before I go, so EVEN IF it's bad, I will remember the faith God has asked me to have in ALL CIRCUMSTANCES. Some of you may wonder why I'm even writing about a car problem when I have SO MUCH to be thankful for. I guess I'm writing because I know I often put TOO MUCH faith in things that don't deserve faith at all. Like cars, people, our house, etc.... Really, God is gently reminding me to Trust In Him Alone. I'm also writing it down, so I remember it. God is so sweet, so gentle and so wonderful, isn't He? God, I want my heart to be teachable for you...

I can't get the song out of my head that is from Psalm 20:7 - "Some trust in chariots, some trust in horses, we will trust in the name of our God. Like Abraham, Isaac, David and Moses, we will trust in the name of our God!" Okay, God, I get it. I will trust you. Only you.

And in the process, I will also pray for help with our cars. Seriously 10 months of car issues is enough, no??? ;) I don't even want to think how much has been spent on our cars. Ugh.

1 Chronicles 16: 8-11 Give thanks to the LORD, call on his name; make known among the nations what he has done. Sing to him, sing praise to him; tell of all his wonderful acts. Glory in his holy name; let the hearts of those who seek the LORD rejoice. Look to the LORD and his strength; seek his face always.
What kind of "chariot" is God asking you to lay down and put your trust in Him instead today?
With love,
The Two Car Hoovers (well, kinda)

1 comment:

Lauren said...

I love this post! It is so true for me as well that there are times (more than I would like to admit) when once God blesses me, fixes something or MOVES I say "thanks" and go back to trusting the world. Which when I put it that way "trusting the world" its sounds so foolish! But, that is what happens. This is a good reminder for many of us!

And I love that song. Last year, at the beach, a bunch of us met Todd Gonofski who sings that song. So now whenever I hear it I think of randomly meeting up with him on the beach. :)

Our Wedding Countdown